tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu May 29 17:28:26 2003

Re: Klingon Alphabet

>From: Klingon Emperor <[email protected]>
>To: [email protected]
>Subject: Re: Klingon Alphabet
>Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 13:25:58 -0700 (PDT)
>
>Just saying that it sure would be nice if, when teaching the language to
>our children or fellow linguists, we could say, "now we're going to talk
>about the letter <?>...it makes this sound..." and so on and so forth.
>When we take foreign language classes at school or college, the names of
>the letters and the alphabet are the first things to be taught.  I hope one
>day Okrand makes up names for the letters.  Seems too Earthling to keep
>calling the letters what they are in English.

But do you understand that we're not using letters of the Klingon alphabet?
The way we write Klingon is not they way Klingons write it.  We don't know
anything about their writing system.  Our orthography uses characters that
we as Terrans can recognize; they tell us how Klingons pronounce the words.
So it doesn't make sense to think that the Klingon language would contain
words to give names to the characters of our writing system.  Maybe there
are words for the characters of their writing system ({pIqaD}), but as we
don't know anything about that system, there's no way we could use them
intelligently.  And they still wouldn't correspond to the writing system we
use on this list.

--Holtej 'utlh