tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu May 29 07:11:46 2003

Re: Klingon Alphabet

From: "C. Krottje" <[email protected]>

> %We know very little about the Klingon writing system(s).
> %For all we know,
> %they do not mark the glottal stops in any way. We DO know
> %that the
> %transcription system makes the glottal stops at the
> %beginning of otherwise
> %vowel-initial words explicit.
> %
> %SuStel
> %Stardate 3402.3
> %
>
> Is the pIqaD 'alphabet' and its mapping to the phonemic
> Okrandian writing system considered to be canon (even
> though not being Okrandian canon)? If so, then what about
> the sign that is used for the glottal stop? That would
> indicate that they do mark glottal stops wouldn't it?

No, it's not canon.  It's not Okrand canon, nor is it Star Trek canon (it's
never appeared on any prop or effect).  It's just something that some
unknown dude at a company that made an effect for a Star Trek movie threw
together.  And even that's not verified.

I dearly wish it had never been done.  When the FAQ comes back up, I think
this is all explained there.

SuStel
Stardate 3407.2

Back to archive top level