tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu May 29 07:05:19 2003

Re: Klingon Alphabet

From: "Klingon Emperor" <[email protected]>
> Is there a name for the letters in the Klingon alphabet?  Seems a bit
silly going around calling 'a' the letter "ae" and 'b' the
> letter "bee."  To me, that should have been one of the first things done
for this language, make formal names for the letters
> in Klingon.

As I just said, the system we use (marking sounds like /tlh/ with that
letter combination) is not the system Klingons use.  Klingons have their own
writing system that we know very little about.  We don't even know if it's
an alphabet.  It might be pictographic, or syllabic, or something else.

We don't have information about how the Klingon writing system(s) works
because Mike Okuda, scenic designer for Star Trek shows (starting with The
Next Generation), wanted to be able to put up pictures of Klingon writing
without having to worry about what it means.

Since we don't know anything about the Klingon writing system, how can we
possibly know what they call the symbols?

SuStel
Stardate 3407.2

Back to archive top level