tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed May 28 11:58:57 2003

Re: Hallmark BoP commercial

> > tlhIngan Hol:
> > nuqDaq {cha'wI' vIH} vItu'laH, Sovlu''a'?
>
> I would never have figured out that you were trying to say "motion picture."

I was picturing the displays themselves moving.  ?

> For one thing, you can't use a verb of action like /vIH/ as an adjective.
> Those have to be verbs of quality, like /moH/ "be ugly" or /Dun/ "be
> wonderful."

vIH is "be in motion".  I can see vIH being a verb of quality, like /mach/ "be
small", or /SuD/ "be green".  The english is definitely awkward, and leaving
behind the english influence I can see this working, especially since it is
defined with "be".  MO has even said that in definitions like this, the "move"
part is in there for the sake of being able to look up the word.

move, be in motion (v)			vIH
ugly, be ugly (v)			moH
wonderful, be wonderful, great (v)	Dun

> Even if you had /vIHtaHbogh cha'wI'/, I wouldn't have gotten it.
> "Moving thing which displays"

"Display thing which is moving".  The -bogh is on /vIH/.

> ...doesn't conjure up the image of a movie to my mind.

I do agree with you here.

DloraH

Back to archive top level