tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun May 25 17:27:03 2003

RE: Australia (was "RE: Learning") -- off topic

> > Brisbane (FYI: pronounced "briz-bin", not "bris-bain" as so many Yanks
>seem
> > to think, heh) is north, capital of the state of Queensland; Melbourne
> > ("mell-bin", not "Mell-born") is the capital of Victoria, in the south.
> > Right in between is New South Wales, capital: Sydney --
>
>So, no matter how it's spelled, the second syllable is pronounced "bin"?
>So, that would be Queens-bin and Syd-bin?  :P
>

> > Canberra ("Kan-brih")
>
>What!? It's not Can-bin?  :P

i reckon there's a few here who do think "Can-BIN", LOL.  Apparently Aussies
are among the laziest speakers in the world.  Maybe that accounts for the
pronunciation.  The way Paul Hogan speaks in the "Crocodile Dundee" movies
is very much like us all to a degree; a few Aussies will take exception to
that comparison, and try to disagree, but the fact is, he was so popular
here because he WAS "just one o' the blokes" -- all the (likable) characters
in his TV show were lower middle-class, blue-collar guys we all related to.
If you think any of us have 'accents' or 'dialects' then Hoges' 'diaect'
would be mid-north coast (as in the mid-north coast of NSW, where he comes
from).

i always get people on the 'net making jokes about me being Aussie -
especially the "crikey!" thing, heh.

--DantlhIgh

ninemsn Extra Storage is now available. 30MB of storage on ninemsn Groups -
great for sharing photos and documents. Go to
http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/home&pgmarket=en-au

Back to archive top level