tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat May 24 12:26:57 2003

Tao Te Ching Chp. 26

26K

Dotlh tIS QutlhwI' [A] 'oH Dotlh 'ugh'e'.
Do che'wI' 'oH Dotlh jot'e'.

vaj pem Hoch [B] lengtaHDI'
not tepDaj lon yajchu'wI'.
Daqmey 'IH leghtaHDI'
SaHbe' 'ej jottaH.

SoghHa''eghmoH'a' wa'netlh Duj che'wI'?
SoghHa'chugh QutlhwI' ghajtaHbe'.
tlhoy moDchugh che'wI' ghaHtaHbe'.

26E

Being heavy is the foundation of lightness.
Being calm is the ruler of haste.

Thus, the sage, when travelling all day
Never parts with his luggage.
Seeing beautiful sights,
He remains unconcerned and calm.

Will the ruler of ten thousand chariots let himself be frivolous?
If he's frivolous he will lose his foundations.
If he's rash he will lose rulership.

[A] The first too lines could easily be expressed with verbs rather than
nouns. However, I wanted the Klingon text to retain the somewhat unusual
wording of the Chinese version and the original uses the noun "jun" (master,
ruler, lord) in the second line. That is why I decided to use nouns rather
than verbs in the first two lines. {che'wI'} was a (relatively) obvious
choice but it took me a while to find a noun which could mean "basis,
foundation, support". I first considered {Hal} and {mung} and then
discovered {QutlhwI'} in BoP: {qoD QutlhwI' ngaDmoHwI'} - Inner Support
Stabilizer. {QutlhwI'} seemed to be it.

[B] I hope {pem Hoch} is fine as a time stamp. {qaStaHvIS pem Hoch} would be
slightly drawn out.

'ISqu'
http://www.geocites.com/taoteching_klingon