tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed May 21 14:30:53 2003

Re: Learning

Hello Susan!

I started learning Klingon in the year 1995.
As a christmas gift, I got a big package with some StarTrek Software. One of it was an audio-CD of
Conversational Klingon [yes, nobody knows there's a cd].
That was my first contact with Klingon! I just listened to the CD over an over, and wrote it down
using my own transcription system. A few months later, when visiting the US, somebody gave me
TKD. That's when I realized that this is really a fully functional language. I read it several times, and
marked the different words (noun, verb, other, and suffixes) with different colors. That's a good
practice.
The tape (cd) was my best practice for pronunciation, the best practice for grammar is this list.
I joined the mailing list in 1997, and since then I've read all the books manymany times, and made
my own dictionary.
In the year 2001, I organized the qep'a' chorghDIch, which was the first one in Europe. It's
incredible how much one can learn during only a few days!
And besides, I host a regular qepHom since 1999. This can also be done by a beginner!! I doesn't
mean that the host is a Klingon-teacher and the participants are students, no, it's just a meeting of
some people who like to practice klingon. It doesn't matter how.

Voragh wrote:
>don't expect us to do the work for you.  If you don't want to be confused
>by too many conflicting opinions, flag your post with "KLBC" for the
>attention of the Beginning Grammarian.

Good words!
Perhabs you don't know yet, but I am the current Beginners' Grammarian. As Voragh already
pointed out, it is my job to help out newcomers and beginners in learning Klingon.  If you put
KLBC at the beginning of the subject line of a message, it marks it as a beginner level topic. This
may be a question for me, or just conversation with other beginners in general. KLBC is not limited
onto to participation by beginners, though! Anyone may contribute. The rule here is that the first
person allowed to discuss the grammar of a KLBC post is the BG . Once I've gotten through with it,
if there are any corrections or additions you think of, go ahead and post. This system keeps the
beginner's confusion down to a minimum. If possible, you should also include what you were
trying to say, in English. This will make it easier for me to make sure that you say what you are
trying to say.

I'm sure you've seen these websites already, but they're always interesting to visit again:

The Klingon Language Institute:
http://www.kli.org

This list's FAQ:

The FAQ will certainly answer many of your first questions, and it provides information about how
you can learn Klingon and use this mailing list, and the KLBC.

Feel free to ask questions, analyze other people's messages, and attempt your own. Hope to read you
soon!

Quvar
Beginners' Grammarian
  ghojwI'pu'wI' vISaH