tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun May 18 00:16:06 2003

RE: JangmeH toch De'wI' lo'

> > > pong cherlu' tlhIngan Hol vISovchu'pa'.
> > "The name was established before I completely knew the klingon
language."

> "The name was established before I completely knew the KL."  Why
> use lu' on the first segment, then?

-lu' is the indefinate subject.  I am not saying "I established it" or that
"he/she established it"; I do not specify who did the establishing, I am
merely saying that it was established.
(see TKD p38,39)

> And how do you say "was established" or "knew"?

/cherlu'/, /Sov/

> I ask only because both segments lack the past tense suffix.

There is no such thing as a past tense suffix.  Klingon does not have tense.
(see TKD p40)
But we know that I am refering to the past because I am already using that
name.  I have been using it for years; so I can't say that it will become
established as my name at some point in time in the future.

> Explain your reason, please, and why you
> would use -lu' (I wouldn't in this case, that's all).

What would you use?

DloraH

Back to archive top level