tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri May 02 16:26:58 2003

Re: KLBC: Hoch, 'op & ordering

On Fri, 2 May 2003, Steven Boozer wrote:
> Since this can be answered by looking at canon, I'll play through...
>
> {bID} has long been an item of contention, but we finally got an example in
> the BoP Poster:
>
>    cha' choQmey naQ tu'lu' 'ej tep choQ bIngDaq lo' law' bID choQ tu'lu'
>    2 Full Decks and a Half Utility Deck under the Cargo Deck

I really need to unroll that poster and put it somewhere.  :)

> The noun {'op} precedes the noun it modifies.  We have an example from
> SkyBox S7:

['op mu'tlhegh vIpe']

> If the noun following Hoch is explicitly plural, it means "all"; if it is
> singular, it means "each" or "every".  (Note that this is one case where
> you cannot omit the plural suffixes, which are usually optional.)  Thus:
>
>    {Hoch nItlhmey} = "all the fingers" (i.e. collectively)
>
>    {Hoch nItlh} = "each finger, every finger" (i.e. separately)

{Hoch nItlhDu'}  (fingers are body parts, no?  ;)

Qapla'.  mu'tlhegh ghItlhlu'meH mI' mu' rur mI' qech 'oSlaw'bogh mu''e'.
rap qechmo' pIq veb jIbIvbe'.

Cool beans.  So it looks like we have some evidence that numerical concept
nouns are treated as numbers, for the most part.  At least it's
consistent, so the next time I wonder, I'll know what order to follow...

...Paul

 **        Have a question that reality just can't answer?        **
  "Do not follow where the path may lead.  Go instead where there
          is no path and leave a trail." -- Muriel Strode

Back to archive top level