tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu May 01 17:00:26 2003

KLBC: Hoch, 'op & ordering

Stupid question which might be really good for newbies as well...

The TKD basically tells us straight up that if you're counting something,
the numbers are placed before the noun, such as in /loS puq/ "four
children".

Then there are some nouns that are kinda like numbers...  /Hoch/ "all",
/'op/ "some", /bID/ "half".

How are these used?  Where in the references are they described (and/or,
what are the canonical examples)?

If I wanted to say "some children", do I say /'op puq/ (use it like a
number) or /puq 'op/ (use it like a noun-noun construction)?  If I wanted
to say "all my fingers", would I say /Hoch nItlhwIj/ or /nItlhwIj Hoch/?

I can't find it in my TKD, and I'm not sure which box the movers have my
KGT in...

...Paul

 **        Have a question that reality just can't answer?        **
      "It's kind of fun to do the impossible." -- Walt Disney

Back to archive top level