tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jun 30 16:47:55 2003

Re: Difference?

My goodness, Voragh!  What a system you must have to find examples of each word and their usage.  I'm impressed and humbled.  Thank you for your help, but did Okrand ever say which of the two verbs, /ghoS/ or /jaH/, should be used only in certain situations?  Taking an example from below.../ghoS/ is used in this sentence: /nImbuS wej maghoS, He yInab/.  Is there any rule or has Okrand said anything that would stop me from saying: /nImbuS wej majaH, He yInab/?  I'm just trying to visualize and make clearer for me in my head when it is best to use /ghoS/ and /jaH/.  Thanks again, Warrior!

Steven Boozer <[email protected]> wrote:"Klingon Warrior"
> > What is the difference between the words /jaH/ and /ghoS/ (aside from the
> > obvious definition difference which are "go" and "approach, thrust, etc.")?
> > The reason I ask is because: first, I'd like to know if there are some
> > sentences that I must use /ghoS/ with, and second, too often I find the
> > word /ghoS/ being used when I think /jaH/ can suffice as well. If I were
> > to say, "Go to hell!" Would I say, /ghe''orDaq yIghoS/ or /ghe''orDaq
> yIjaH/?

SuStel:
>This is just my opinion, but I'd say the difference is one of focus. /ghoS/
>focuses on following the path, while /jaH/ focuses on getting from place to
>place. /jaH/ is concerned with your start and end points; /ghoS/ is
>concerned with the journey in between.
>
>You're not so concerned with "following the path to hell" as you are with
>"arrive inside hell." I'd favor /ghe''orDaq yIjaH/ over /ghe''orDaq yIghoS/.
>
>This is just my unresearched opinion.

Let's see what Okrand does with these two verbs...

{jaH} "go"

Will Martin (charghwI') interviewed Okrand in HolQeD (Dec. 1998) on verbs
of motion and -Daq:

MO: Here's the way {jaH} works. {jaH} can be used, using your terminology
both transitively and intransitively. So, {bIQtIqDaq jIjaH} is "I go
in the river." I'm moving along in the river, traveling in the
river. You can also say {bIQtIqDaq vIjaH} ...
WM: You'd still use the {-Daq}?
MO: Yes. But you don't have to. That would be the way. {-Daq} or no {-Daq}.
The prefix makes the difference in meaning. {jI-} means I'm moving
along in someplace. {vI-} means I'm moving along to someplace. You
cannot say {bIQtIq jIjaH}.

pa'Daq yIjaH
Go to the room!
["the verb is {jaH} 'go', so to makes the most sense as a translation of
{-Daq}." (TKD 27)]

pa'vo' yIjaH
Leave the room! ("Go from the room!") TKD

jolpa'Daq yIjaH
Go to the transport room! TKD

teplIj yIwoH 'ej pa'lIjDaq yIjaH
Pick up your baggage and go to your room. CK

naDevvo' vaS'a'Daq majaHlaH'a'
Can we get to the Great Hall from here? PK

jolpa' yIjaH. Qapla'!
To the transport room. Success! ST3

may'Daq jaHDI' SuvwI' juppu'Daj lonbe'
When a warrior goes to a battle, he does not abandon his friends. TKW

'Iw bIQtIqDaq jIjaH
I travel the river of blood. TKW

{ghoS} "follow a course, proceed, come toward, approach, go to, go away from"

"There are a few verbs whose meanings include locative notions, such as
{ghoS} 'approach, proceed'. The locative suffix need not be used on nouns
which are the objects of such verbs: {Duj ghoStaH} 'It is approaching the
ship.' {yuQ wIghoStaH} 'We are proceeding toward the planet.' If the
locative suffix is used with such verbs, the resulting sentence is somewhat
redundant, but not out-and-out wrong: {DujDaq ghoStaH} 'It is approaching
toward the ship'." (TKD 28)

HIghoS
Come here! ("Approach me!") TKD

torgh HIghoS
Torg, come here! TKD

naDev yIghoS
Come here! TKD

naDevvo' yIghoS
Go away! TKD

bIghHa'Daq yIghoS
Go to jail! TKD

nughoStaH
it is approaching us TKD

yIghoStaH
steady on course! maintain this course! TKD

ghoSchoH
He is beginning to go (somewhere). TKD
["The implication of the second example is that he or she was going either
nowhere or somewhere else sometime before the phrase was uttered. Note that
the translation of this suffix maybe English 'become' or 'begin to'." (TKD
37)]

maghoSchoHmoHneS'a'
May we execute a course (to some place)? TKD

Duj ghoStaH nuq
What is coming toward the ship? TKD

nughoStaH nuq
What is coming toward us? TKD

He chu' yIghoS
Follow a new course! TKD

mughoS 'avwI' 'ar
How many guards are coming? CK

naDev ghoS
Come here! PK (clipped)

He chu' ghoS. DIvI' neHmaH.
New course. Federation neutral Zone. ST3

tlh'a' HoD, nImbuS wej yIghoS.
Captain Klaa, proceed to Nimbus III. (ST5 notes)

nImbuS wej maghoS, He yInab
Plot course for Nimbus III.
("We're going to Nimbus III. Plot a course!") ST5

nom yIghoSqu'
Maximum speed. ST5

ghoSmeH yIpegh
Stealth approach. ST5

'entepray' yIghoS
Bear on Enterprise! ST5

cha'maHvagh vatlhvI' Hong, QIt yIghoS
Slow to one quarter impulse power. ST5

'ach, HoD, Hevetlh wIghoSchugh veH tIn wI'el maH'e'
But Captain, that course will take us into the [Great] Barrier as well. ST5

HIghoS!
[guard, grabbing Kirk in Okrona's transporter room] ST5

yIghoS
[Get moving! (untranslated)] ST6

yIghoStaH
[Keep moving! (untranslated)] ST6

nuqDaq ghoS?
What is your destination? ST6

qatlh pa' ghoS
What's she doing?
["Why is she [the ship] going there?"] ST6

loDnal HIghoS
Husband, come here (rare) KGT

parmaqqay HIghoS
parmaqqay, come here (rare) KGT

loS... qIb HeHDaq, 'u' SepmeyDaq Sovbe'lu'bogh lenglu'meH He ghoSlu'bogh
retlhDaq 'oHtaH
It waits... on the edge of the galaxy, beside a passage to unknown regions
of the universe. DS99

Heghpu'bogh latlhpu' ghuHmoH bey. ghoS tlhIngan SuvwI' maq.
This yell... serves to warn the other dead that a Klingon warrior is
coming. S31

laS veghaS HIltonDaq <> qaSchoHmo', bIlopqu'meH HIlton
yIghoS
Come celebrate the grand opening of Star Trek: The Experience at the Las
Vegas Hilton. STX

Looking at the above examples, two things strike me: 1) {ghoS} is the more
general of the two verbs and is used far more often; and 2) {jaH} doesn't
seem to be used with vehicles, but for personal locomotion.

Other than that, I don't see much of a difference between {naDev yIghoS}
vs. {pa'Daq yIjaH} or {naDevvo' yIghoS} vs. {pa'vo' yIjaH} (all from TKD).

"Warrior"
> > Also, and this is because I just saw this, what is the difference between
> > the words /ghot/ and /nuv/? Any special time I'm suppose to use one over
> > the other? What do you think is the most appropriate way of saying the
> > word "people"? /ghotpu'/?

SuStel:
>I'm not aware of anything that Okrand has done to clarify the difference
>between these two words. I believe he has used /ghot/ more often than
>/nuv/. As far as we know, you can use them interchangably. Both /ghotpu'/
>and /nuvpu'/ are good ways to say "people."

Correct. {ghot} has been used four times:

ghotpu' tamey
Personnel Files STC

reH tay' ghot tuqDaj je
One is always of his tribe
("A person and his house are always together"). TKW

ghotvam Ho'lu'. 'ej muSlu'
A man to admire& and hate. (ST5 notes) ST5

wey jolpat: wa' (jav ghotpu')
Personnel Transporter - 1 (6 Man) KBoP

while {nuv} has been used only once:

butlh ghajbogh nuv'e' yIHo'
Admire the person with dirt under his fingernails. TKW

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Klingon Warrior