tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jun 20 08:08:55 2003

Tao Te Ching Chp. 77

77K

wobmeH [A] mIw rur 'u' mIw'a'.

jenwI' 'eSmoHlu'.
'eSwI' jenmoHlu'.
QeywI' QeyHa'moHlu'.
QeyHa'wI' QeymoHlu'.
'IqwI' nupmoHlu'.
yapbe'wI' ghurmoHlu'.

mIp 'Iq ghajwI'vo' nge' mIw'a'
'ej mIp HutlhwI'vaD nob.
mIw'a' rurbe' nuvpu' mIw'e'.
mIp HutlhwI'vo' nge' chaH.
mIp 'Iq ghajwI'vaD nob.
'ach qo'vaD nobmeH vay' yap ghajlaH 'Iv?
mIw'a' ghajbogh nuv'e' neH.

vaj vum yajchu'wI' 'ach naD pIHbe'.
Qu'Daj ta' 'ach 'oH buStaHbe'.
lo'laHghachDaj 'ang neHbe'.

77E

The Tao of Heaven is like the bending of a bow.

What is high is brought down.
What is low is sent high.
What is loose is tightened.
What is tight is loosened.
What's excessive is reduced.
What's insufficient is increased.

The Tao of Heaven takes from those who have too much
and gives to those who are in want.
The people's way is not like Tao.
They take from those who are in want
and give to those who have too much.
Yet who is able to have enough to give it to the world?
Only the one who has the Tao.

Therefore the sage toils but expects no praise.
He does his work but does not dwell on it.
He does not wish to make a display of his merit.

[A] We don't know a Klingon word for a bow or even if Klingons ever used
bows. However it seemed to me that throwing a spear by means of a {chetvI'}
is based on a principle somewhat similar to shooting an arrow by means of a
bow. That's why I used the verb {wob} here.

'ISqu'
http://www.geocites.com/taoteching_klingon