tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jun 19 17:49:16 2003

Re: considering honor... again

ghItlh Voragh:

>This is why I tend to translate {batlh} as "Honor" (with a capital H) and
>{quv} as honor (with a small H), or even as "fame, reputation, 'face'".  In
>other words, {batlh} is the general goal of Klingon society, or the
>Platonic value, if you will; {quv} is one's personal honor, something more
>manageable which is under a person's control.

vaj maQochbe'qu'.

Then one can't really lose {batlh}, merely {quv}. (Although one might argue
that the Romulans or the Ferengi have, as a race, no {batlh} in the eyes of
the Klingons. :D)

In my view, the phrase {qa'meH vIttlhegh} also gives us some idea of the
meaning of {quv} (the full phrase {quvqa'meH vIttlhegh} shows where my
argument is coming from). It would have to be a fairly weak type of honour
that could be regained simply with a replacement proverb like {HIvqa'
veqlargh!}; it would be like saying in English "Whoops, my bad". Probably
"individual honour, face, reputation" would be a bit more accurate; but I
have an idea that this is one of those words like {tova'Daq} or {qajunpaQ}
which doesn't have a direct translation into English.

Savan.

QeS lagh

<<Deghmey? Deghmey DIghajnISbe' jay'!>> - Blazing Saddles

Get mobile Hotmail. Go to  http://ninemsn.com.au/mobilecentral/signup.asp

Back to archive top level