tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jun 19 13:06:30 2003

Re: Skybox cards

On Thu, 19 Jun 2003, Steven Boozer wrote:

> Does "it does not accumulate" mean that the increased Strength value does
> not carry over to the rest of the game; i.e. the extra points are good only
> for that one battle?

"Does not accumulate"  means if you play two Qapla' cards you can't add
Integrity twice, so basically there is no point in playing two of them.
Otherwise you would be able to play 4 Qapla's (the max number in a deck)
and have super-Klingons with massive amounts of strength. When the fight
is over their strength goes back to normal, thats normal for a Interrupt
card.

> So, revising ngabwI's translation gives us:
>
>    "If an enemy attacks you, then during that battle your Klingons who
>     have honor add Integrity to Strength. (It does not accumulate.)"
>
> which means that the tlhIngan Hol isn't bad - except for the odd phrase
> {quv ghajbogh tlhInganpu'} "Klingons who have honor" instead of the simpler
> {tlhInganpu' quv} "honorable Klingons".  Is "Honor" another measurable
> character value which might explain the use of the separate nouns {HoS},
> {ghob} and {quv}?  It sounds like you have the game.  Is Okrand mentioned
> anywhere in the credits?

Honor is a skill that a character can have. It's listed on the cards,
along with skills like Leadership, Anthropolgy, Computer Science. Some
Klingons do not have honor (Duras for example) and some non-Klingons have
honor. Most of the basic Klingon characters have honor in the game, so
the Qapla' card is very useful in a game, although I would never put the 1
I have in a deck, I have seen people use it in a game.

It's always fun  when someone asks for a translation, and they only give
the game text from memory. I have actually stepped in before and
translated the whole thing, and pronouced it correctly while most players
don't even know how to read the text.

I don't know if Okrand had anything to do with the card, but from reading
the booklet that comes with the Fajo Collection I don't think he did.

And yes, I have played this a lot, and next weekend will be at a
convention in Columbus probably playing some more :) While I am there I'll
keep my eyes open for Qapla' and Skybox Klingon cards, if I see any I'll
get them and let people on the list know, just in case anyone wants to buy
some.

qurgh

Back to archive top level