tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jun 16 21:33:09 2003

RE: collective/sentient

> ... I wouldn't say,
> /chaH yIHoH/ ("Them!  Attack it!")  I would say, /chaH tIHoH/.
> qar'a'?  If the object is plural, why have a prefix that states
> the object as singular (regardless if the word in Klingon is
> inherently plural)?  Thanks for your help...

I know this can be difficult to grasp.  I still have problems with this
sometimes.

In english we sometimes have just the opposite.  We have objects that are
singular but we refer to them in plural form.
"Identify the color of your underwear which you are wearing now."
Usually the response would be "They are white" (plural), instead of "It is
white" (singular).  "Those/these" instead of "that/this".

DloraH

Back to archive top level