tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jun 13 12:34:27 2003

Re: KLBC chepqu' ne' QonoS

>ghItlh Voragh:
>
> >{taghwI'} is a "beginner, someone/something that begins"; if anything,
> >something that starts something else should be *{taghmoHwI'} <g>.
>
>That sounds like someone who makes you start, but not "start an engine".
>
> >already have {chu'wI'} "trigger", derived from {chu'} "engage, activate,
> >turn on (a device)" from PK:
>
>I agree, {chu'wI'} is a better word for this.
>
>But the verb {tagh} can be both transitive and intransitive; i.e. you can
>"begin" and you can "begin
>a process":
>
>PK:
>   {taghbej mu'qaD veS}
>   "Curse-warfare has definitely begun"
>
>TKW:
>   {Qu' DataghDI' 'aqtu' mellota' je yIqaw}
>   "When you begin a mission, remember Aktuh and Melota."

I disagree that /chu'wI'/ is necessarily better.  It depends on your
meaning.  If you're someone who's starting a mission, you're a /taghwI'/
"one who starts," not a /chu'wI'/ "one who activates."  You don't activate a
mission.

Further, both /taghwI'/ and /taghmoHwI'/ are theoretically valid words,
given the known uses of /tagh/.

SuStel
Stardate 3448.9