tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jun 12 12:18:51 2003

RE: bu/fu you [Was: Re: Tao Te Ching Chp. 34]

jImugh:

:Qu'Daj ta' 'ach ghajqangchoHbe'.
:Tao does its work but lays no claims.

ghel ghunchu'wI':

:What is the "does its work but lays no claims" phrase
:supposed to mean?  Am I supposed to understand that
:Tao doesn't want to take credit for its accomplishments?
:If that's what it means, I might have other suggestions.

HISlaH. DuHlIj yI/tI'muchneS.

jIQIj:

:nap China Hol chovnatlh:
:
:     bu4 you3  (not/doesn't have/own).

Do'Ha', jIyepHa'qu'qu'qu'mo' mu'tlhegh muj vIlab. {{:-/
HIvqa' veqlargh! DaH mu'tlhegh vImughta'bogh vImuch:

  gong cheng bu (ming) you.

  gong - task/work
  cheng –accomplish/finish/achieve
  bu – not
  (ming - name/acclaim/recognition)
  you - have

mu' "ming" luHutlh 'op Tao Te Ching chovnatlhmey
(some versions of TTC). mu'tlheghvam vImughtaHvIS mu'vam
vIbuSQo'mo' vaj <ghajqangchoHbe'> vIghItlh. Do'Ha' moHqu'.
DaH DuH pIm vIqel.

    Qu'Daj ta' 'ach naD DoQbe'.
    [Tao] does its work but lays claim to no merit.

    Qu'Daj ta' 'ach naD Hevbe'.
    [Tao] does its work but is given no praise.
    [Tao] does its work but receives no praise.

'ISqu' yepHa'qu'