tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jun 11 19:02:08 2003

Re: Klingon Alphabet

ja' Klingon Emperor <[email protected]>:

>But wouldn't little Klingon children need to have a name for each
>"symbol/letter/pictogram/whatever"?

Not everything needs a name.  An object can often be referred to by
describing what it *does* rather than what it *is*.  In a phonetic
transcription system, each symbol does exactly one thing: it represents a
specific sound.  So the {tlh} symbol can be indicated unambiguously by
saying {<tlh> 'oS}.  One might say {<tlh> lIw>, or even just {tlh} and be
done with it.  Why get any more complicated than that?

>I don't understand how the "drawings" in the pIqaD still can't be
>named individually.  Klingons, when spelling/describing out things to
>eachother, would need some form of telling what picture to draw, qar'a'?

If pIqaD symbols represent sounds, the sounds themselves are perfectly
adequate to "name" the symbols.

  "Draw the symbol for {ng}."
  "Draw {bI}."
  "Draw {tlhe'}."
  "Draw the {QaDqu'moH} glyph."  Okay, maybe not the last one.

>The question of if is an alphabet shouldn't matter too much...I just
>want to say something other than, "Qapla' is spelled que, ae, pee, el,
>ae, apostrophe."  Know what I mean?

I think I know what you mean, but I also think it's an irrelevant issue
when the "alphabet" is nothing more than a straightforward representation
of the sounds.  Spelling is the same thing as pronunciation.

  "Qapla' is spelled/pronounced Q, a, p, l, a, '."

Join us at qep'a' and sing a few choruses of {bIngo'} with us. :-)

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level