tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jun 10 17:19:26 2003

RE: lugh'a' mughghachvam?

> By the way,
> /boch/ means "be shiny" and "shine", right?  So in your example
> below, I really wouldn't need -moH to say, "If you shine my
> nose."  qar'a'?

In the dictionary where /boch/ is glossed as "shine, be shiny", that version
of "shine" is intransitive, it doesn't take an object.

"Look at that diamond shine"
"That diamond is shiny"

If you want "shine" to be transitive, to take an object, you have to
add -moH.
/waqwIj tIbochmoH/
"Shine my shoes" and/or "Cause my shoes to be shiny"

Those other words like /poSmoH/ "open" are listed in the dictionary the way
they are because who would think to look up "cause to be open".  They are
listed with the transitive equivalent.

DloraH

Back to archive top level