tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jun 08 20:43:18 2003

RE: the glottal stop

ghItlh Qes lagh:

>ghItlh Sangqar:

>>qatlh "France" Hol'e' maja'chuq?

>Can we use <<ja'chuq>> in this way? I had thought that if one used a type 1
>verb suffix, the verb couldn't take a direct object. (On the other hand, I
>can't really see how one might go about recasting it, either.)

What direct object?  The verb prefix {ma-} specifically precludes the
presence of a direct object for this verb.  Just because Klingon word order
is OVS does not mean that any noun which (immediately) precedes a verb is
its object.  TKD, section 6.1 (p 60 in the English edition):

Any noun in the sentence indicating something other than subject or object
comes first, before the object noun.  Such nouns usually end in a Type 5
noun suffix.

So if your verb does not have an object and it does have a noun with a Type
5 suffix (or indeed any noun that's not a subject or oibject, like maybe
{DaHjaj}), then that noun will immediately precede the verb (unless, of
course, something else intrudes, like maybe a purpose clause).

-Sangqar