tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jul 15 16:02:34 2003

Re: Klingon and copyright

The issue is not so much "copyright" as it is "trademark" and that's a
stickier wicket indeed.

The terms of the KLI's license are very specific. There are things we're
given a wide amount of latitude on and others which are very narrowly
defined.

Keep in mind that our mandate is to promote the Klingon language, and toward
that end we have a certain amount of leeway in terms of developing teaching
tools. Unfortunately, I don't believe Viacom would consider a series of 20
minute films to be teaching materials.

On the other hand, if someone wants to bring a blue screen with them to the
qep'a', we can certainly get some footage of Andrew Strader reciting the taH
pagh taHbe' soliloquoy from HAMLET and perhaps do something interesting with
it down the road.

Lawrence

Back to archive top level