tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jul 15 12:43:05 2003

Re: Klingon and copyright

Kash wrote:

> > If it was done by fans and available for download and not for sale, I
> > think you'd avoid most copyright issues.
>
>   If my understanding on copyright law is correct, then this is true. If
>(again, emphasizing the "if") I'm right about this, then it would also be
>possible to sell dvd's or videos of the collection, so long as no profit
>was made

... and you had the copyright holder's (i.e. Paramount) permission.  And,
in the extremely unlikely event that they actually do give permission,
Paramount will no doubt insist on having their cut of the sales.

>(unless my understanding of copyright law hasn't kept up with
>the law itself..i don't watch the news much. lol)

Historically, Paramount/Viacom has never viewed copyright issues as a
laughing matter.

Do some research online and find out how Paramount dealt with martial
artist Chet Brown (a.k.a. HetaQ DoqwI') when he published his bat'leth
manual "Secret Fighting Arts of the Warrior Race" (vol. 1 {betleH yIqel})
without their permission.  Eventually his entire unsold inventory was
ordered destroyed.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons