tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jul 14 10:50:17 2003

Re: Is the language too bound for its own good? (w

I propose a movement. Let us march to the battlefronts of our local
McDonald's, Hardee's, and Wal-Marts! Let us bombard them with the
language of warriors! Let us order our Double Whopper in tlhIngan Hol,
and befuddle the poor tera'nganpu' behind the Burger King counter!
jaghpu'ma' DIghIjjaj!

On 14 Jul 2003 13:47:47 +0200 "christoph.pichlmann"
<[email protected]> writes:
> >Klingon Warrior <[email protected]>
>
> >(because this language is a bit more difficult than others and
> learning a
> >foreign language sucks as it is, something should be thought of to
> win
> over the
> >masses of people too
>
> You can't get the masses without dumbing down - do you want that? I
> agree that klingon needs more publicity, but as long as people tend
> think that ANYTHING Science-Fiction related is nothing more than
> geeks
> fairy tales, there isn't much hope.
>

> >But couldn't there be more...than this list...than an annual
> qep'a'...than what >we have now?  I'm talking colleges in every
> state
> who teach Klingon for those
> >wanting to take classes!
> Yes, there should be more - but you can't force people to learn
> klingon
> if they don't want to. And, as said above, as long as people don't
> take
> Klingon serious(because it's born out of Science-Fiction), they
> won't
> learn it.
> Also, IMO before there are classes teaching Klingon, I think it
> would
> be better to have more classes teaching the native language(this is
> NOT
> against you, I just mention it because whenever I read a message
> board
> I see tons of mistakes and this is quite annoying...).
> Klingon is fun, it is an interesting language, but only as tertiary
> language IMO. (For example German/English/Klingon - or whatever is
> reasonable in your country).

Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!