tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jul 14 06:32:28 2003

re: Is the language too bound for its own good.

<[email protected]>

>My only concern is that if tlhingan Hol speakers start making up
"canon" of
>their own they may incur the wrath of Paramounts legal department,

That's your only concern? I'd be more concerned about the tainting of
the klingon language.
The greatest benefit tlhIngan Hol has, is that there is only ONE person
making up words. Once there are more, they drag impurities into the
language.
If I may compare it with german, where there is a german word for "cell
phone" - guess what it is? "HANDY". Yes, "HANDY" - sounds just like an
english word, but isn t. Why did this happen? Because there are too
many meddling with it. We also have a word for "video projector" - we
call it "BEAMER".
So you'd want THAT to happen with klingon too?

(Note: to those who'd like to argue that languages evolve and are alive
- sure, but that doesn't mean it has to dumb down.)

Back to archive top level