tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jul 11 18:21:49 2003

Re: Klingon - Terminology Databases (IMHO)

On 11 Jul 2003 at 17:22, Russ Perry Jr wrote:

> >I am interested in contacting anyone who is building terminology or
> >translation memory databases for Klingon.
> >
> >STAR is a leading provider of translation and terminology tools. I am
> >interesting in discussing how we might build up a Klingon translation
> >memory/terminology for our product.
> >
> >This would help newcomers translate Klingon, and also help share the
> >language.
>
> The problem is that the language is actually copyrighted.  So, unless
> you can somehow get permission from Paramount (I think it's still
> Paramount that holds the rights...), your project would be at risk of
> litigation. Sorry... --
> //*================================================================++
> ||  Russ Perry Jr   2175 S Tonne Dr #114   Arlington Hts IL 60005  ||
> ||  847-952-9729    [email protected] [NEW!]  VIDEOGAME COLLECTOR!  ||
> ++================================================================*//

In my mind this creates an interesting question.  Can copyright law extend to a
language? In my mind a language is a means of communication, like english, German or
sign language.  I associate this with a free area of rights.  I personally think that now that
this language has been created it has been placed in the hands of those who are
interested in it, and can speak it.  Paramount has shown that it is not overly concerned
with applying the language, through using "made up" Klingon on the shows, which is
untranslatable and not related in any way to what we know as Klingon exemplifies this,
creating problems for us as we have to call it a "different dialect of the Klingon
Language".

I understand that the books are copyrighted, and believe this to be right, but the Collins
and Oxford English dictionaries are also copyrighted, but we don't have to reference
them every time we right an essay or thesism or even use words.

I think what I'm trying to say, and I wish I could say this in Klingon, is that the language
is now open, and although we need to respect the canoninity of sources of the
language, there is nothing to stop us, the community that speaks the language
developing it further. Did anyone tell the Americans that they weren't allowed to change
the spellings/meanings of words from the original British meanings (Yes I know, that's
mean, but hey I'm British), why can't we develop the language and try to interpret the
problems we have in our own way (my mind is brought back to an issue a while ago with
Question as Object and other such grey areas), after all, language is never stationary.

This all probably seems a little extreme to some Die Hard members, let me just say that
this is a personal point of view, and I am very happy for a decision to come out of this,
I'm not stuck in my ways and am willing to listen to other peoples opinions. As the
subject line says, this is just my humble opinion.

Does anyone else out there feel that Klingon should be made "Open Source" and open
to a regulatory body such as the KLI to develop further, or do you all think that any
developments should only come from Mark Okrand? I would be interested to hear the
concensus on this.

Back to archive top level