tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jul 11 17:35:23 2003

Re: /rI'/ (was Re: Kash jIH.)

>Klingon Warrior:
>> >I use /rI'/ almost daily!  But I never took it as "hail" like on a
>>Starship!  I had always thought of it as, "hail" like praising
[... HH ...]
>> >victory!" "Hail the Empire!" Hagh, Hagh, Hagh.  I still think I can use it
>> > as "praise, proclaim," but I'm glad my head got back into StarTrek
>> here  lol

For those interested:
[From "The Concise Oxford Dictionary," .  8th Edition. © Oxford University Press.  All Rights
Reserved.]
hail _v.
1  tr. greet enthusiastically.
2  tr. signal to or attract the attention of (hailed a taxi).
3  tr. acclaim (hailed him king).
4  intr. (foll. by from) have one's home or origins in (a place) (hails from Mauritius).
_int. expressing greeting.
_n.
1  a greeting or act of hailing.
2  distance as affecting the possibility of hailing (was within hail).

Etymology ellipt. use of obs. hail (adj.) f. ON heill sound, WHOLE

So SuStel was almost right with what he said ["contact someone with a radio-like device... because...
rI'Se'..."]

{rI'} "hail (v)"
{Se'} "radio frequency (n)"
{rI'Se'} "hailing frequency (n)"

So {rI'} can be greeting/hailing in some way, and if you do so using a {Se'}, then it's a {rI'Se'}.

Quvar.

Back to archive top level