tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jul 07 08:01:08 2003

Re: literal translations - KLBC

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tree d'Eris" <[email protected]>
To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Monday, July 07, 2003 8:03 AM
Subject: literal translations - KLBC

> Example from this months HolQeD - " DorDI' jar mejpu'. Literally this
> sentance means When the month ended, he/she left " Now for purposes of me
> trying to get my parsing and grammar right, surely a literal translation
> would be closer to a more Elizabethan sounding " When ended the month,
> he/she left. "

I had this same problem until very recently.
My sentence parser was not parsing Klingon, it was parsing English which
came from Klingon on-the-fly.
Ex: {SoQ lojmIt}
I would have read this sentence, and in my mind, it would be translated to
the english, word-for-word, "Is closed door", then converted to "Closed is
the door", then finally the images that my brain associates with the
concepts "closed" and "door" would pop into my head, and that was how I read
Klingon.
But I wasn't reading Klingon. Very recently, I noticed that those
intermediate steps were less and less necessary. I look at that sentence,
and the symbols for "closed" and "door" pop up, and my parser gives "door"
the nominative "stamp" because it follows the verb. In other words, I'm
actually reading Klingon, not the English behind the Klingon. (I'm still
shaky on subordinate clauses, but that's slowly improving, too.)

I guess this response is just a long-winded way of saying that you need  to
train your parser, and that it will come with time and practice. Promise.

--ngabwI'
HovpoH juHDaq:
http://web.tampabay.rr.com/ngabwi/
HovpoH 700255.3