tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jul 07 07:08:38 2003

literal translations - KLBC

I keep finding my head tying itself in knots over seemingly simple
translations because when I use canon to construct new phrases the "literal"
translations given do not seem to be really literal. My grasp on grammar,
English or Klingon - is ropey at best, so please do not think me pedantic.
Example from this months HolQeD - " DorDI' jar mejpu'. Literally this
sentance means When the month ended, he/she left " Now for purposes of me
trying to get my parsing and grammar right, surely a literal translation
would be closer to a more Elizabethan sounding " When ended the month,
he/she left. "
I don't suppose that the KLI will suddenly change the way they translate
phrases between English and Klingon just for me. Can anyone suggest a
strategy to help me with this ? I'm all parsed out.

http://www.msn.co.uk/messenger

Back to archive top level