tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jul 06 10:37:04 2003

Re: Nonnes qui reposez

ghItlh SuStel:

>suspect that the pun for /ghang/ "premature ending" is "gong,"
>as in "The Gong Show."

Perhaps, but as I wrote Okrand, I will perfer to entertain the notion that
it is a reference to my canine companion of 18 years. Her likeness was on
the wine I made, the label announced it as from The Unpronounceable Dog
Winery. I dedicated my dissertation to her. I came very close to getting her
a bachelor's degree when I taught in south Florida, and almost had her
elected as student body president. When she showed up on my doorstep as a
puppy, I was an undergrad taking a course in international phonetics and had
just been introduced to velar fricatives. I looked at the dog, and the name
"ghang" popped into my head. I spoke it aloud and she nodded, and for the
next eighteen years that was the name she responded to. She passed away in
1998, and despite a good run, it still feels like a premature ending.

Lawrence

Back to archive top level