tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jul 05 09:48:43 2003

Re: Sun?

this is true, at least of tera'ngan cultures, but one can also see the
possibility of assuming the opposite: that the "stars" at night are just
smaller "suns", dotting the sky...then again, we could go with Sean
Connery's theory that they're just "pinholes in the blanket of night" ;)

On Sat, 5 Jul 2003 09:57:59 -0400 "DloraH" <[email protected]> writes:
> > > this may sound stupid, but what about Hov'a' (that is, if the
> > > augmentative can be used according to importance and not just
> size),
> > > since it would be the biggest, brightest one visible..?
> >
> > SuStel also mentioned {Hov'a'}, but just like my suggestion, it is
> not
> canon.
> > I believe SuStel's point is that the original post asked for a
> Klingon
> > (canon) word for "sun", and there simply isn't one. And so the
> original
> > poster must strike out on their own, and create a combination of
> existing
> > canon elements to communicate the idea.
> > But one must expect another to challenge the word, or to miss the
> idea of
> > "sun" altogether, especially outside the context of the original
> post.
> > qar'a'?
>
> Even tho I, myself, have used Hov'a', I don't like it.
> The problem I have with all these choices that contain /Hov/
> (Hov'a',
> pemHov) is that most(all) early civilizations don't think of the sun
> as a
> type of star.  It is only after they develop in science that they
> learn that
> it is.
>

> DloraH

Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!