tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jan 28 11:03:31 2003

Re: KLBC mu'vam tu'lu''a'?

ngabwI':
>   I have two words which communicate the same idea and have the same sound.
>   One word is a verb and the other is a noun.
>   (Example: The verb {naD}, "to commend", and the noun {naD}, "commendation")
>   Is there a word that describes this event?

I don't know if there's a recognized linguistic term, but I call them
homophonous verbs/nouns, as in "See the homophonous noun {naD}".

>   I am not describing words which have the same sound, but communicate
> different
>   ideas!  Example: The verb {Hu'} "to get up", and the noun {Hu'}, "days
> ago")

FYI, according to Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary:

   HOMONYM
   one of two or more words spelled and pronounced alike but different in
meaning
   (as the noun "quail" and the verb "quail")

   HOMOPHONE
   one of two or more words pronounced alike but different in meaning or
derivation
   or spelling (as the words "to", "too", and "two")

   HOMOGRAPH
   one of two or more words spelled alike but different in meaning or
derivation or
   pronunciation (as the "bow" of a ship, a "bow" and arrow)

--
Voragh                            "Damage control is easy. Reading Klingon
- that's

Back to archive top level