tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jan 23 09:55:03 2003

Re: prayer corrections

Quvar wrote:

>I just gave one translation of the famous "Lord's prayer".
>But I do not want to distribute mistakes over the list, so I need to make
>some additions:
>
> > ghoSjaj wo'lIj, qaSjaj Dochmey DaneHbogh
>
>I'm not sure if {ghoS} is the best choice for "may your kingdom come soon"

Agreed.  A much better choice, for this and other versions of the Pater
Noster, is {cher} "establish, set up".  E.g.:

   ngoch luchermeH 'ej wo' San luwuqmeH pa' ghom tlhIngan yejquv DevwI'pu'
   where the leaders of the Klingon High Council meet to determine policy
   and decide upon the fate of the Empire  S25

   boq lucherDI' tlhIngan wo' romuluS Hov wo' je So'wI' cham Suqpu'
tlhIngan wo'
   Cloaking technology was gained through an alliance with the Romulan Star
Empire  S33

So the line becomes:

   wo'lIj cherlu'jaj
   Adveniat regnum tuum. (Thy Kingdom come.)
   "May your empire be established."

BTW, using {-lu'} and {-jaj} is a good way to render all those Latin
subjunctive verbs (*sanctificetur*, *adveniat*, *fiat*, etc.).  If you
don't like this style, then make God the active subject:

   wo'lIj Dacherjaj
   "May You establish your empire."

--
Voragh                            "Damage control is easy. Reading Klingon
- that's

Back to archive top level