tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jan 23 06:34:57 2003

prayer corrections

I just gave one translation of the famous "Lord's prayer".
But I do not want to distribute mistakes over the list, so I need to make some additions:

> vavma' QI'tu'Daq, quvjaj ponglIj:
> ghoSjaj wo'lIj, qaSjaj Dochmey DaneHbogh

I'm not sure if {ghoS} is the best choice for "may your kingdom come soon"

> tera'Daq QI'tu'Daq je.
> DaHjaj maHvaD DaHjaj Soj yInobneS,
> 'ej yemmeymaj tIbIjneSQo'

AFAIK, {yem} "sin" is only a verb, so this use here is just wrong.
Besides, I think that the object of {bIj} should be the person being punished, not the reason for which one need to be
punished (can one punish a sin?)

> maHvaD yembogh nuvpu' DIbIjbe'moH.

This is better. question is: what's {-moH} doing here?

> ghotlhu'moHneSQo', 'ach mIghghachvo' ghotoDneS.

*mIghghach* is not valid, because we know that the nominalizer #9 {-ghach} usually comes after another suffix, and not at
the bare verb.

> reH SoHvaD wo', HoS je, batlh je.

Adding nouns, {je} comes at the end: {wo' HoS batlh je}
And there is no verb in this sentence.

Quvar
Beginners' Grammarian
  ghojwI'pu'wI' vISaH