tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jan 23 00:39:03 2003

Re: KLBC proper use of {Hutvagh}

ghItlh ngabwI':

> chay' "Hutvagh" lo'lu'?
> How does one use {Hutvagh}?
jISovbe'. Sovchugh vay', vaj mu' yIDel!

from HolQeD v11n3p13:
>>>[...] Maltz volunteered the Klingon term {Hutvagh}, a noun, meaning "too many people or things in a place all at once".
Maltz further indicated that the term was used as word play, a substitution for the more common {Qu'vatlh} which might
otherwise be heard in such situations.<<<
(the situation being talked about was the interstate with heavy traffic)

It's not easy to read "too-many-people-or-things-in-a-place-all-at-once" as a noun!

I think of it as an increase of the word "crowd":

{ghom}
= some people

{ghom'a'}
= many people

{Hutvagh}
= too many people

>tlhIngan Hol pab pab'a' vay'?
I believe that one {pab} is enough, since the verb meaning "follow rules", so don't need to mention that it "follows rules of
rules"
   {pab'a' mu'tlheghvam}
   "do these sentences follow rules?"
  i.e.
   "Are these sentences grammatical?"

>Hutvagh 'oH Hevam'e'
>*This road is congested*

{He} is "course", but since we have no word for roas or street, it could work.
I think it works like this, yes.

{Hutvagh 'oH Daqvam'e'}
"this place is a too-many-people-or-things-in-a-place-all-at-once"

> pa'vamDaq Hutvagh yIHmey tu'lu'.
> *There are too many tribbles in this room*
Certainly not. "too many tribbles" is {yIHmey 'Iq}

>not Soj QaQ yIQaw'!

not Soj QaQ luQaw' tlhInganpu'. meQlu'bogh Soj luSop 'e' tIvlaw' tera'nganpu'. :-)

>HovpoH 699590.3

Are you going backwards with your counting?

Quvar
Beginners' Grammarian
  ghojwI'pu'wI' vISaH

Back to archive top level