tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jan 22 11:38:45 2003

Re: KLBC prayer

ghItlh ngabwI':

> I have a catholic friend who would like to get the Lord's Prayer translated.

This has been done already, but of course I'll correct your grammar!
You seem to assume that I know the text, since you don't give the english translation ;-)

> vav'a'ma', QI'tu' Dabbogh,

If you want to say "our father who lives in ..." then the word order is as usual OVS:
{QI'tu' Dabbogh vav'a'ma'.}
But in "poetic situations" as this one, you could say this also.

> quvqu'neS ponglIj.

"your honor, your name is really honored"
What about {-jaj}?
"may your name be honored"

> wo'lIj taHjaj.

If this is a standard sentence, it should follow the word order:
{taHjaj wo'lIj}
Only when it's a toast, the verb with {-jaj} comes at the end.

> QI'tu'Daq, qo'vamDaq je Danoblu'.
This sentence is correct, but there is something missing from the prayer:
You say "Someone gives you in this world and in heaven."
Give what?
missing line:
"May your will be done here on earth, just as it is in heaven."

> DaHjaj, maHvaD Sojmaj yInob.
That's good!
Another way could be
   {maHvaD DaHjaj Sojmaj yInob}
   "give us our today's food"

> pImawchugh, vaj yInoDQo', 'ej wImawlu'DI', manoDQo'.

literally:
"if we offend you, so don't retaliate;
and if we are offended we refuse to retaliate."
Good recasting for "sin"!
Note that there is a word for the verb "sin" {yem}

> ghotlhu'moHbe', 'ej ghotlhu'be'moH.

In an imperative, the command not to do s.th. needs the suffix {-Qo'}
   {ghotlhu'moHQo'}
   "don't tempt us"

I don't see what you mean with {ghotlhu'be'moH}
literally: "cause us to not be tempted"
It can't be "but deliver us from evil"

Some manuscripts add "For yours is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever."

> 'amen
To avoid confusion, put non-klingon words in *asterisks*.

> {quvqu'neS}: closest I could come to "Holy"

That's okay. The prayer reads "may your name be honored"

> {'amen} could not think of a way to recast "So be it" (Orig. Hebrew meaning)
"may it happen": qaSjaj

Here's the Lord's prayer which I have, I don't know where it comes from, and there were a few mistakes in it when I found it. But it might be interesting to see how
one can also translate it:

vavma' QI'tu'Daq, quvjaj ponglIj:
ghoSjaj wo'lIj, qaSjaj Dochmey DaneHbogh
tera'Daq QI'tu'Daq je.
DaHjaj maHvaD DaHjaj Soj yInobneS,
'ej yemmeymaj tIbIjneSQo'
maHvaD yembogh nuvpu' DIbIjbe'moH.
ghotlhu'moHneSQo', 'ach mIghghachvo' ghotoDneS.
reH SoHvaD wo', HoS je, batlh je.

> HovpoH 704586.6
What kind of stardate is this?

Quvar