tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jan 22 11:38:49 2003

Re: tlhegh

ghItlh Voragh:
>By "empty line" do you mean a blank line, separating two blocs of text?

Right.

>   The usual term for "proverb" is {vIttlhegh}, literally "truth rope" and
>formed,
>   no doubt, by analogy with {mu'tlhegh} "sentence" or, literally, "word rope".
>   (Okrand, HolQeD 5.1)

Yes, both times this is "a rope of something", an idiom (or metaphor?) describing words attached to each other like the elements of a chain.
But a blank line is a rope of nothing, it's just space.
I though that the definition for {tlhegh}"line, rope" means "line like a rope, instead of a line drawn by a pen" (?)

Quvar
  jup ghajlu'meH
  jup DanISlu' neH.

Back to archive top level