tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jan 22 08:07:11 2003

Re: "to be" and plurals

>Also consider the English when using adjectives:
>
>"Most of his family is German."
>"Some of his ancestors are German."
>
>"Most of his family is tall."
>"Some of his ancestors are tall."
>
>...Paul

muj.

"Most ARE", vaj "Most of his family ARE"

chovnatlhvam yIqel:

Q: "What's the nationality of his family?"

lugh:
A: "Most are German."

muj:
A: "Most is German."

"Most of his family IS" jatlh HochHom "America"ngan.  jIjatlh jIH je, pab
jIbuSbe'. 'ach muj.

I'm decriptivist only to a certain point.  I can accept that "family" is
treated as a singular in American English, but a plural in British English.
But a little consistency, please:  "Most" is plural and "of X" is simply a
modifier, so "Most of X" is plural, no matter what X is, the vagaries of
relaxed speech notwithstanding.

-Sangqar