tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jan 17 07:58:40 2003

Thank you for answer.(from Wajet)

Hello, I'm *wa'jet*
Thank you for answer.

>Welcome to the list.  I see that the BG has overlooked your message, so
>I'll venture a few suggestions.

Thank you. I see.

>In A.C. Crispin's 1994 novel SAREK, {Pityroy!} is used as an exclamation
>during a romantic encounter.  (The novel's secondary plot followed James T.
>Kirk's nephew Peter, who I believe was studying to become a Klingon expert
>for the Federation diplomatic corps.  Needless to say, being a Kirk, he
>became romantically involved with a beautiful Klingon woman.)  In her
>preface, Crispin thanked Marc Okrand for his - he provided her with a few
>Klingon words and expressions - and she even says that after working with
>him she now knows how to make love in Klingon IIRC.  The problem is the
>non-Okrandian transcription of Peter as {Pityr}.  Did Okrand okay the use
>of {-oy} on a proper name, but Crispin (or her editor) insisted on the
>idiosyncratic spelling, or did Okrand merely tell her about the suffix in
>case she wanted to use it herself?  In other words, did he approve this
>usage or not?

It is very interesting.
I had not heard this topic. Is it said that it is possible?

>If this use of {-oy} is possible, remember that {bang pongmey} are private
>and are NEVER uttered in public:
>
>   A {bang pong is usually couple-specific--that is, the set of expressions
>used by
>   one couple is different from that used by another couple. Pet names are
>almost
>   never uttered unless the two members of the couple are alone and,
>therefore, are
>   seldom known by anyone else. Indeed, one of the defining characteristics
>of a
>   {bang pong} is that it be secret, known only by the two members of the
>couple.
>   (KGT, 199)

Hmmm, I am glad if it can be known.
Do I make a Klingon woman a sweetheart? :-)

>>2) Do you translating to tlhIngan Hol "Seven of Nine"?
>
>We've discussed this a few times here on the list.  (You can search the
>List archives at kli.org for details if you're interested.)
I didn't know it. From now on, I will read instantly.
qatlho'!

>know, Okrand has never translating this Borg designation himself.  If you
>use the normal possessive phrase, you wind up with {Hut Soch} "seven of
>nine, the nine's seven" - which can also be read as the two numbers "nine
>seven".  One way around this might be to rephrase it as *{Hutghom Soch}
>"seven of a group-of-nine" or "the group-of-nine's seven".

Well, I did not invent the translation.
Your opinion was consulted very much for me, thank you.

>Perhaps it's easier to call her {Soch mI'} "Number Seven" or, easier still,
>just {Soch} "Seven" - as in fact most of Voyager's crew did after they
>became comfortable working with her.

I see.
That reminds me, "Third of Five" who appeared in TNG"I, Borg" was called
"Number Three" with the Japanese stand-in version.

>>     And "Q (Q continuum)"?
>
>Hmm... perhaps *{Q taHtaHghach}?
It is interesting ...
Thank you again.