tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jan 08 21:52:06 2003

Bad Klingon

There's a thread going on over at the Straight Dope Forum entitled "What if
someone else had written Lord of the Rings?" (or something similar).
Someone posted this (my comments in parentheses):

Qebmey Joh (Qebmey joH)
Sum J.R.R. K'tolkien (bad bad bad Anglicism - took me a while to figure out
he meant 'by' JRR Tolkien - I was wondering what the heck 'Tolkien is near'
had to do with anything)

Pak Ca' (paq cha')

'Ay' Los ('ay' loS)

Hurg Daq leF (leng HurghDaq - apparently supposed to be Journey in the Dark,
title of Book II, chapter 4)

Qibli', 'ej wovmohwi'li' mac nom, Cah MevmeH ram. Cahli'ku' doy'. Hudli' So'
maswoV, 'ej susli' biR. (nom machchoHqa' QIb wovmoHwI' je, chaH mevmoH ram.
Doy'qu' chaH.  HuD So' maSwov, 'ej bIr SuS.)

The above is the best I can do restricting myself to this person's choice of
words (although I had to change some suffixes).  In English, the lines are:

It was evening, and the grey light was again waning fast, when they halted
for the night.  They were very weary.  The mountains were veiled in
deepening dusk, and the wind was cold.

'The shadows and the lamps were growing small again' is a really poor
translation, but it was the only grammatical way I could put together those
words.

It seems as though this was computer-generated for the KLI font.  (Perhaps
someone who has the font can say for sure.)  Is there a Klingon 'translator'
out there somewhere that outputs this sort of mangled attempt at the
warriors' tongue?