tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jan 08 16:38:33 2003

Re: KLBC

[I'll let the BG answer the grammar question, but this can be answered by
examples from canon.]

ngabwI' asks:
>Re: the proper use of {vI'}(decimal point)
>How does one say something like "375.265" as a number in Klingon?

Exactly as you do in technical English: "three seven five point two six five".

We have a Stardate given on one of the SkyBox cards:

   HovpoH Hut vagh cha' wa' vI' jav Dujvam 'aghlu'pu' 'ach Qaw'lu'pu'
   [This ship was demonstrated on Stardate 9521.6 but it was destroyed.] S33
   (English translation omitted on card)

but our best source is the Klingon Bird of Prey Poster, which contains a
couple of simple decimal numbers:

   cha' vI' vagh choQmey lutoghlu'
   Number of Decks: 2.5

   'aqroS qughDo: pIvlob Hut vI' vagh
   Maximum Cruising Speed - Warp 9.5

a distance (the {loghqam} is a cosmic unit of measure = 1.25 light years):

   jabbI'ID pup: Qapchu'meH 'aqroS chuq: cha' vI' chorgh loghqammey
   High Resolution - Maximum Effective Range - 3.5 Light Years

and several measurements (the {'uj} is a unit of linear measure ca. 35 cm.):

   wejvatlh loSmaH loS vI' vagh wej 'uj 'aD Duj
   Length: 120 M.

   loSmaH jav vI' Soch loS 'uj 'ab meH
   Bridge Height: 16.28 M.

   HIvtaHvIS toQDuj cha'vatlh wejmaH Soch vI' vagh chorgh 'uj 'ab 'oH
   Attack Formation Height: 82.75 M.

   qughtaHvIS toQDuj HutmaH vI' jav wa' 'uj 'ab 'oH
   Cruise Formation Height: 31.56 M.

   SaqtaHvIS toQDuj wa'vatlh loS vI' jav chorgh 'uj 'ab 'oH
   Landing Formation Height: 36.46 M.

--
Voragh                            "Damage control is easy. Reading Klingon
- that's

Back to archive top level