tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jan 07 17:57:14 2003

emphasis on locations

Lately, my captain told me "Put this Targ on our ship!"
There where two Targs, I didn't know which one to take, so I asked "Put this Targ on our ship?"
The captain was angry, answered "NO, on your *grandmother's* ship! - duh" ;-)
He obviously misunderstood me

In Klingon the command might have been this:
- DujmajDaq targhvam yIlan.

The question I asked ist just the question-form of the comand:
- DujmajDaq targhvam vIlan'a'?

To avoid misunderstanding, I could use the #5 topic Marker {-'e'} for emphasis, right?
- DujmajDaq targhvam'e' vIlan'a'?
- "Put *this* Targ on our ship?"

Maybe the topic is on the verb (must I {lan} it, or can I throw it?), I would do that with the Rover {-qu'}:
- DujmajDaq targhvam vIlanqu''a'?
- "really *put* this Targ on our ship?"

Now, going through all possibilities of misunderstandings, we come to the place.
"Put this Targ on *our ship*??" (maybe it's our space station?)
- Dujmaj'e'Daq targhvam vIlan'a'? EEEEEEEEEEEEEE
RROR
If I would do this, then I'd be using two suffixes of one type. Clearly, this means that locations formed like this
cannot use the topic marker {-'e'}.

Ideas? ;-)

Quvar
  ghojwI'pu'lI' tISaH