tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Feb 27 11:27:28 2003

Re: KLBC love

From: "chepqu" <[email protected]>

> > > ... a verb for "love".
> >
> > This needs to be added to the FAQ.   ... and that new WIKI thing.
>
> OK, the faq. I searched the faq and I found this:
> maSuv manong 'ej maHoHchu'
> We fight, we love, and then we kill.
>
> So /manong/ means "we love" literally "we are passionate".
> But this is somehow an idiom. What is the scope of /nong/? "Be passionate"
> to what extent? In which contexts (passion in battle, in work, in sex) can
> /nong/ be used? What is the complete sense of /nong/?

Don't confuse the translation of the song with the meaning of the word.
Just because the song says "we love" and /manong/ in the same place doesn't
mean it's an exact translation.  /nong/ means "be passionate," not "love."
It just so happens that this word was considered appropriate here.

SuStel
Stardate 3158.7

Back to archive top level