tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Feb 25 13:23:37 2003

My name

Actually, I was attempting to learn my name in Klingon. 'Michael' or 'Mike' Rynes. Someone has suggested jIH Da joH a', meaning(supposedly), "Am I like lord?" I don't think that's quite right. even though that's pretty much what 'Michael' means.
 Steven Boozer <[email protected]> wrote:DloraH wrote:
> > How do I give the connatation of the English suffix "-ly"
> > meaning "of" as in "Earthly" or "Heavenly", "of Earth" "of Heaven"
>
>It could be handled with a noun-noun construction or a /rur/ simile.
>
>It is an earthly scent. It is a scent of the earth.
>tera' pIw 'oH.

N.B. capitalization: {tera'} "the Earth (planet)". For earth (i.e. ground
or soil) you can use {yav}:

yav pIw 'oH.
It's an earthy smell.

yav pIw ghaj.
It has an earthy smell.

>It smells like the earth.
>He', tera' rur.

"It smells like the Earth." Or:

He'; yav rur.
It smells like earth (soil).

Or you could say something like:

jIHvaD tera' qawmoH pIw.
The scent reminds me of Earth.

We have a good example of using the bare noun like this in phrases like
{romuluS HIq} "Romulan ale" (i.e. the liquor Klingons most commonly
associate with the planet Romulus), {romuluS Hov wo'} "The Romulan Star
Empire", {tera' DIS} "an Earth (Terran) year", etc.

--
Voragh "Damage control is easy. Reading Klingon
- that's