tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Feb 24 06:14:15 2003

Re: New Member/Syll... correction

On Sun, 23 Feb 2003 15:06:49 -0500
 Alan Anderson <[email protected]> wrote:
> ja' qeyS:
> >Could you give some examples of words that begin with a
> >vowel (orthographically) and that start with a /h/,
> since I
> >can't think of any...
>
> honor, heir, hour, herb, homage, honest...But that's
> English spelling, and
> has nothing to do with Klingon.

...hmmm... these begin with a "h" orthographically, and
start either with a vowel or a glottal stop in normal
speech. That's the opposite of what I meant... Although
later you give a nice example of what I meant from My Fair
Lady.

> The only possible relevance is what to do with the
> anomalous suffix {-oy}
> when it follows a noun ending in a vowel.  TKD suggests
> that {'} is added
> before it, though from what happens "automatically" when
> I'm speaking I
> suspect that {w} is acceptable much of the time, and {gh}
> might even work.
>
> -- ghunchu'wI'

I never SPEAK Klingon so I wouldn't know, but I expected
either a Glottal Stop or some kind of assimilation where a
noun with final vowel is followed by the {oy} suffix. That
the final vowel and the /oy/ diphthong are turned into a new
sound (diphthong or triphthong). Compare the Dutch
endearment/diminutive suffix {ie}; if it follows a word like
"papa" (dad)(stress on 1st syllable), it becomes
"pappie"... or the name Susan, where the last bit
dissappears altogether and the name turns into Suzy.
the name Mara could become /mara-oy/ --> /maroy/ in fast
speech perhaps. I don't know. It just seems more natural
than inserting a glottal stop or a /gh/, although a /w/
doesn't seem that weird.

---qeyS---

Back to archive top level