tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Feb 23 12:48:29 2003

Re: New Member/Syll... correction

tereS:
>> >Interestingly, in English, words that "begin" with
>> vowels actually
>> >begin with a glottal stop (try it yourself!) which is
>> just not written in.

Quvar:
>> And if they don't, the letter "h" is added :-)

qeyS:
>Could you give some examples of words that begin with a
>vowel (orthographically) and that start with a /h/, since I
>can't think of any...

I hope I didn't confuse you; we're talking about english. In klingon there is no such thing.

Teresh said that in english words starting with a vowel, like "ever", start with a glottal stop: {'ever}
If one tries to pronounce such a word *without* a glottal stop at the beginning, one will come to an "H"-sound.

Just compare the french way to pronounce "hotel": it's {'otel}, because they don't pronounce the h.
Or dutch "hallo" vs. french "allô" (at the phone).

Quvar.

Back to archive top level