tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Feb 21 23:32:49 2003

Re: Sentences as objects/pronouns/etc.

From: "...Paul" <[email protected]>

> I was thinking about the whole sentences-as-objects thing...  Don't we
> have some evidence about sentences as subjects?  I can't remember any off
> the top of my head, but I was thinking about the phrase { qay'be' }
> "(It's) no problem".  Would not the implied subject be a sentence?  Or is
> it more that you could be more specific with { ghu'vam } "This situation"
> which avoids the whole sentence-as-a-thing can of worms?
>
> I thought I remember there being a classic problem with { peD } "snow" in
> some common phrase, like "It's still snowing"?  That seems solvable with
> the implied subject of { muDvam } "this weather", although { peDtaH muDvam
> } "This weather continues to snow" does seem a little awkward...

Okrand's response to using the weather verbs seems to indicate that a
subject just isn't used for these.  The subject might be anything, but when
actually describing the weather, one simply isn't used.  Notably, Okrand's
use of /SIS/ "It's raining" might just as well be an exclamation.

I think this spills over into other areas, like /qay'be'/.  Or take another
example: we know that one can phrase a question by adding /qar'a'/ "right?":

pab mu'tlheghvam qar'a'
pab qar'a' mu'tlheghvam
This sentence is grammatical, right?

What's the subject of /qar'a'/?  Well, the statement in question.

I would say that while /'e'/ is never used as a subject, there are times
when sentences may be the implied subject of another sentence, and times
when the subject can remain obscure.  However, I would only apply this sort
of thinking to phrases we know it works with.

SuStel
Stardate 3143.7

Back to archive top level