tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Feb 21 19:18:41 2003

Sentences as objects/pronouns/etc.

I was thinking about the whole sentences-as-objects thing...  Don't we
have some evidence about sentences as subjects?  I can't remember any off
the top of my head, but I was thinking about the phrase { qay'be' }
"(It's) no problem".  Would not the implied subject be a sentence?  Or is
it more that you could be more specific with { ghu'vam } "This situation"
which avoids the whole sentence-as-a-thing can of worms?

I thought I remember there being a classic problem with { peD } "snow" in
some common phrase, like "It's still snowing"?  That seems solvable with
the implied subject of { muDvam } "this weather", although { peDtaH muDvam
} "This weather continues to snow" does seem a little awkward...

I'm wondering if we're really out of legitimate options for handling these
kinds of constructions...  (just brainstorming after a brainfrying Friday
of work...  Ignore me if I'm babbling...)

...Paul

 **        Have a question that reality just can't answer?        **
            "This above all:  to thine own self be true"
                    -- Hamlet, Act I, Scene III

Back to archive top level