tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Feb 21 10:28:57 2003

Re: KLBC [-choH]

Gina Newman:
> > I'm having trouble knowing when to use the verb suffix *-choH*.  I know it
> > is a change in state, but still don't quite understand when it's used.

SuStel:
>You use /-choH/ when your meaning is "start to do something" or "begin to be
>something."  Here are some examples:
>
>   jIQongchoH
>   I start to sleep.
>
>   bIyoHchoH
>   You begin to be brave.
>
>   yIjatlhchoH
>   Start talking!
>
>The idea is that the action or quality is a change from what was true
>before.  Compare sentences without /-choH/:
>
>   jIQong
>   I sleep.
>
>   bIyoH
>   You are brave.
>
>   yIjatlh
>   Talk!

Good explanation.  Here are some more examples from canon for you to see
how this works in longer sentences:

   yItamchoH
   Be quiet! (Become quiet!) TKD

   Du'IHchoHmoH mIvvam
   This helmet suits you. TKD

   ghorgh tujchoHpu' bIQ
   When will the water be hot? TKD

   nuqDaq waqwIj vIlamHa'choHmoH
   Where can I get my shoes cleaned? TKD

   tujqu'choH QuQ
   The engine is overheating. TKD

   maDo'chugh QeHchoH wa'
   If we're lucky, one will get angry. CK

   bIrchoH SuvwI' 'Iw
   The blood of the warrior grows cold. PK

   notlh veS... 'a tugh manotlhchoH je maH.
   War is obsolete... as we are in danger of becoming. ST6

   wa' jaj 'etlh 'uchchoHlaH tlhIngan puqloD; jajvetlh loD nen moj
   The son of a Klingon is a man the day he can first hold a blade. TKW

   'etlh QorghHa'lu'chugh ragh 'etlh nIvqu' 'ej jejHa'choH
   Even the best blade will rust and grow dull unless it is cared for. TKW

   vulchoHbe' tlhInganpu'
   Klingons do not faint. TKW

   ropchoHbe' tlhInganpu'
   Klingons do not get sick. TKW

   qanchoHpa' qoH, Hegh qoH
   Fools die young. TKW

   wa' SuvwI' muHlu'DI', tuHchoH Hoch SuvwI'pu'
   The execution of but one warrior brings shame to all. TKW

   bIboH.  yIjotchoH!
   You're impatient. Calm down! KGT

Look up the plain verbs and see how {-choH} changes the meaning.

--
Voragh                            "Damage control is easy. Reading Klingon
- that's

Back to archive top level