tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Feb 18 10:42:05 2003

Re: QongDaqDaq

Hehehehehe!

There were four in the bed
and the little one said
"roll over! roll over"

They all rolled over
and one fell out!

It's an old song/poem from when I was a kid. It's like a green bottle on
the wall song, you start with a number and go all the way to one. I wonder
if it's a British thing.

naHQun, UK DaDab'a'?

vIparHa'. bomvatlh mugh vay' 'e' vIpIHbe'. :)

qurgh

On Tue, 18 Feb 2003, Steven Boozer wrote:

> naHQun wrote:
>
> >QongDaqDaq loS
> >'ej jatlh nuv mach:
> ><petlhe' pa'! petlhe' pa'!>
> >
> >pa tlhe'pu' chaH
> >'ej lelpu'[1] wa'
> >
> >[1] I couldn't translate "fell out", so I went for "got out";
> >but those have two different connotations. Any suggestions?
>
> I don't recognize what you're translating, but try {pum} "fall", which
> Okrand says means "'fall down' or 'fall off of something'" (st.klingon
> 11/05/99).  E.g.:
>
>    QongDaqvo' jIpum
>    I fell out of bed
>    I fell off the bed
>
>    QongDaqDaq jIpum
>    I fell into bed
>    I fell on the bed
>
> I'm not sure how {lel} "get out, take out" is used (there's no canon for
> it), but the gloss "take out" implies that it's transitive ("take
> [something] out, take out [something]").  I.e.
>
>    maghwI' vIDuQmeH tajwIj vIlel.
>    I took out my knife in order to stab the traitor.

Back to archive top level