tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Feb 17 13:53:21 2003

Re: Use of {chugh}

ngabwI' wrote:
>I want to say "If you must speak, speak Klingon." Is it better to say:
>{bIjatlhnISchugh, tlhIngan Hol yIjatlh!}
>   or
>{bIjatlhnISchugh, vaj tlhIngan Hol yIjatlh!}

Both are equally grammatical:

   "If you must speak, speak Klingon."

   "If you must speak, then speak Klingon."

>If I were to say the first, would my point get across? Is the {vaj} required?

Using {vaj} "thus, then, therefore" following {-chugh} "if" is a stylistic
variant, adding a bit more emphasis to the main (i.e. the "then")
clause.  E.g.:

   bIjeghbe'chugh vaj bIHegh
   Surrender or die! TKD

   bIje'be'chugh vaj bIHegh
   Buy or die! CK

   naDev juHlIjDaq cha'logh jISopneSchugh vaj jIquv
   It would be an honor to eat twice here at your house, your Honor. PK

   qorDu' SaHlu'chugh 'ej matlhlu'chugh vaj wa' tlhIngan ghob potlhqu'
   devotion and loyalty to family is one of the most important Klingon
virtues. S13

If you notice, Okrand didn't actually translate it in these.

But there are examples without {vaj}.  E.g.:

   bI'IQchugh yIvang
   If you are sad, act! TKW

   Qu' buSHa'chugh SuvwI', batlhHa' vangchugh, qoj matlhHa'chugh, pagh ghaH
SuvwI''e'
   If a warrior ignores duty, acts dishonorably, or is disloyal, he is
nothing. TKW

Personally, I think that shorter sentences sound better with {vaj},
especially if you add a slight dramatic pause after it.  E.g.

   bIjeghbe'chugh, vaj... bIHegh.

Chacun a son gout.

--
Voragh                            "Damage control is easy. Reading Klingon
- that's

Back to archive top level